Friday, October 27, 2006

of flamenco rhythms, Tojima sensei, and the guitar concerto


Here we have it at last, the first piece that I did to music for free form staff. Years ago I found out that Steve Malamuth, my first tai chi instructor, liked the album "Sketches of Spain" by Miles Davis and Gil Evans. And in particular the Guitar Concerto. Of course Davis plays the whole thing with jazz trumpet. I got the album and was immediately taken by the haunting, lyrical, yet soulful tunes of the Concerto de Aranjuez. Along with Steve, it is one of my favorite pieces of music. I think we both have probably practiced tai chi to it.

Fast forward a couple of years to Japan. Tojima sensei used to practice flamenco guitar. During special nikyo practice after class he would have me tapping out flamenco rhythms. Somehow I came across the idea to do a tribute to him: free form staff to the guitar concerto. Now the concerto is not flamenco, but why let a little deal like that thwart something special?

I've finally succeeded in loading the whole piece I did in 2005 onto my hard drive. I did it after a staff workshop and it was filmed by my god daughter Alison Byers. It is a very different piece from the Metallica piece or the Portrait in Black piece. It is much more lyrical, has slow melodic and hopefully poetic passages. After all, it is 16 minutes long.So, enjoy!

Part1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home