Sunday, November 01, 2009

ASJ Frite Nite 2009






Friday night we held our annual Halloween costume party. We had a good turn out. Although due to the Friday night date a lot of people who have made previous Frite Nite's so memorable were not able to attend. So I assembled a video so those not able to attend could see what transpired. I think the choice of costumes reveals a lot about what is going on inside.

I believe our first Frite Nite was in 2005. It was held in Los Gatos at Mike Brown's house. I went as Starman, a DC superhero written by James Robinson. Still one of my all time favorite comic books. More on that in another blog.

In 2006 I was really into the "Underworld" movies. So I dressed up as a vampire deathdealer. I was able to get a matrix type jacket, like the one Kate Beckinsale wears, put on some vampire teeth, and there I was.

In 2007 I got a kimono, had my daughter Jenny tint my hair red, and went as Nemuri Kyoshiro, the full moon swordsman. Still, as portrayed by Ichikawa Raizo, my favorite movie samurai character.

In 2008 I went as Superman. That was hard to do. Donning that outfit was pretty daunting. But it turned out to be much fun. I was advised by a psychic healer to either have a portrait done in or be photographed in a Superman costume. She said that would heal a lot of past unresolved stuff. Also, she said I would one day fly. I still hope to, but to this date that has not come to pass.

And this year I went as Bruce Lee. With Alwen Laguatan's help, I traced down a Game of Death jumpsuit on the internet. This was much harder than even the Superman costume. I've always wanted a body suit. It comes from watching Bruce Lee and Diana Rigg in "The Avengers". But putting one on is not as easy as one thinks. You can get very hypercritical about the state of your appearance. Especially as you get sixtyish.

So themes from my past several years. Superheroes definitely. Warrior themes strong. Mystical magical supernatural flavor also. I was also considering putting on my Chet Baker t shirt, walking around with my trumpet, and being Chet. This would have been a radical departure from my past. So what will next year bring? Stay tuned........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home